October 14, 2008

Making a mess.

Something new for me. I have been really inspired by Loraine's beautiful dipped tea towels seen on her blog grijs and so frustrated at the lack on interesting fabric available -- I decided to get out my old silk painting supplies and experiment a little. I ended up making quite a mess but I got really excited by the results and the amazing abstract shapes you can create by mixing the paint with lots of water.



I had this idea of creating moon-like/eclips shapes so started off by painting circular shapes with water directly on the fabric and then used the silk paint to paint around the edges. By adding even more water I could create interesting spreading effects.



What started all this was, in a moment of desperation a couple of days before my brother came to stay, we bought this disgusting old futon (below) from the second hand shop for him to sleep on. In order not to frighten him away from staying at our house, I made a new cover for it. It looked a little plain so I got carried away and made some extra cushions as well! Hence the need for some interesting fabric.



before



after


final cushion

2 comments:

TNT said...

*gush* lizzy these are beautiful

Evie said...

adorable I really like these!!
I just spotted a link to you on and old meet me at mikes post. your work is really great, I'll be popping in again : )