February 18, 2008

'Bucket' bag?

So, I've got this little problem where I buy lots of fabric without a goal in mind of what to make...

In any case, my next project for Tolka is a range of really simple bags made from quality materials. I've started off by combining that beautiful linen I bought the other week with cotton lining.

I've designed one 'bucket' shaped bag in both small and large...






Above is my favourite so far (shame I already gave it away).

I did found when sewing these bags that the linen tended to stretch and slip around, so I put an extra layer of interfacing in between to help it hold its shape a bit better. There is also a little detail pic of the lining as I LOVE this pattern – very Japanese.




This bag used a more natural linen which was quite coarse and as you can tell from the photo it really likes to wrinkle. (Believe it or not I did iron this bag before I took the photo!) I think I like the linen with a bit more colour and variation in texture... not sure.

Oh yeh, can anyone think of a better name than 'the bucket bag' for this shape of bag...

2 comments:

k-lo said...

I like Bucket Bag - although it kind of reminds me of Bucket Bong, but that's OK.
They look lovely Lizzie - I like the little red stripy tag on everything too :-)

Rakei Reidy said...

I reckon you could go for maybe 'Sac-a-sash' like a sack and a sash
or maybe even 'Seau-Sac' basically bucket then bag in french im sure that would even make bucket bong sound sexy..!!